FDA Approved Medical Technology
Low Level Laser Therapy (LLLT) has been used worldwide for over 40 years to relieve pain, remove scars, heal wounds, regenerate nerves, and solve addictions. On January 17th, 2002, the first U.S. Low Level Laser Therapy (LLLT) company, Erchonia, the laser you’re being treated with, received FDA clearance through a clinical trial. The study took 100 patients complaining of neck and shoulder pain. Half were treated with a useless red light (placebo group), similar to that on a computer mouse or grocery check-out, and the other half received LLLT. The treatment group beat the placebo group by 66%! That’s 66% faster and more complete relief, a remarkable margin. Such a study is known as “double blind” research and is the gold standard for measuring the validity of therapy. Similar studies have been passed by the FDA for carpal tunnel syndrome, wounds, and scar tissue. There are over 2000 published studies on LLLT reporting zero negative side effects. Visit www.Erchonia.com for in-depth research.
What can I expect from this therapy?
In a nutshell, Low Level Laser Therapy (LLLT) causes tissues to heal faster—muscle, skin, and nerve—66% faster according to the above FDA study.
Specifically, LLLT works at the cell level. Human cells produce a chemical known as ATP (adenosine triphosphate) to run the body and heal tissue. All of our body’s activities result from the use of ATP, it’s like gasoline to a car. LLLT stimulates a micro-structure within the cells called the mitochondria (nicknamed the “powerhouse” because it produces ATP) to produce slightly higher amounts of ATP. Thus with more ATP at the cell level, tissues heal faster, and therefore relief comes quicker.
Conditions and Symptoms… As is true of many alternative therapies, you may receive alternative benefits to being treated, in addition to what you wanted fixed in the first place. This is because the ATP being produced is “systemic”, meaning although we’re focusing the laser on a particular area the ATP is ultimately being sent throughout your entire body. The list of symptoms responding to LLLT is growing, and more valid research is being performed on a daily basis.
Number of Treatments needed… In general 4-12 treatments are necessary to begin the healing process of tissue, although in some cases relief can begin immediately. Maximum treatment would be 1X per day per area, minimum would be 1X per week to still see results. Multiple areas of complaint may be treated. This treatment cycle may need to be repeated, and eventually spread out.
More In-depth Information…
How Does Low Level Laser Therapy Work?
The effects of Low Level Laser Therapy (LLLT) are photochemical (cold), not thermal and are therefore used for healing precision. During treatment of the tissue with the 635 nm laser, an interaction between cells and photons takes place—a photochemical reaction. Photons from the laser affect the tissue at the cellular level. The cold laser enters the tissue, alters cell membrane permeability, and at the cellular level is absorbed in the mitochondria. The mitochondria are the “powerhouse” of the cells and make ATP, which is needed for the life enhancement process of every cell which facilitates:
- Rapid cell growth. The laser accelerates cellular reproduction and growth
- Faster wound healing. The laser stimulates fibroblasts development in damaged tissue. The reduction in recovery time is an important consideration.
- Increase metabolic activity. Helps the body increase output of specific enzymes; greater laser induces oxygen to blood cells and more effective immune response.
- Reduced fibrous tissue formation. The laser reduces the formation of scar tissue following tissue damage from cuts, scratches, burns, or following surgery.
- Anti-inflammatory action. The laser reduces swelling caused by bruising or inflammation of joints to give improved joint mobility.
- Increased vascular activity. The laser stimulates lymph and blood circulation, to allow the affected tissue to have the best possible circulation.
- Stimulated nerve function. The laser will speed the process of nerve cell reconnection to bring numb areas back to life. It also increases the amplitude of action potentials to optimize muscle action.
Research has shown that the cells of your body actually communicate with each other through coherent light (laser). With the Erchonia Medical Laser there are specific pulsations (hertz) that can be programmed with the laser frequency allowing the practitioner to talk “cell talk” with the body. Specific pulsations have been shown to create different physiological responses of the cell. In our office each case is treated with the correct frequency to provide optimum potential for healing in the body.
What are the advantages over other modes of therapy?
The Erchonia Laser has been found to offer superior healing and pain relieving effects when compared to other electrotherapeutic modalities. The results seem equally untouchable for early stages of acute injuries and for chronic problems. The LLLT is a universal method of treating muscle, tendon, ligament, connective tissue, bone, neurological dysfunction or damage, and skin tissue with one simple piece of equipment. When the laser is applied with chiropractic care the best results are achieved to organize the nervous system and promote healing.
Clinical uses of Low Level Laser Therapy (LLLT)
There are a number of potential clinical uses for the Erchonia Laser. This therapy is very effective and safe for children. On the next page are the most popular clinical uses for LLLT.
- Soft Tissue Injuries
- Sprains and Strains
- Tendonitis and Tenosynovitis
- Chronic Back and Neck Pain
- Myofascial Trigger Points
- Acupuncture points and meridian balance
- Acute and Chronic Joint problems:
- Rheumatoid Arthritis
- Ligament and Tendon Injuries
- Chronodomalacial Patella
- Reduction of Inflammation
- Wound Management
- Open Wounds
- Pressure Sores
- Post-Surgical healing
- Diabetic ulcerations
- Dermatological Conditions
- Acne Vulgaris
- Non Union
- Small Bone
- Trigeminal Neuralgia
- Brachial Neuralgia
- Plantar Fasciitis
- Frozen Shoulder
- Carpal Tunnel
- Strep Throat
- And much more!!